Kate Spade Privacy Notice
Last updated: February 1, 2020
- what types of personal information do we collect?
- how do we use your personal information?
- with whom do we share your personal information?
- how do we protect your personal information?
- what are your choices and rights?
- changes to this privacy notice
- how can you contact us?
We are part of the tapestry inc. brands which include kate spade, coach, and stuart weitzman. In this privacy notice, we describe how we use personal information that we collect from you if you are in the u.s. or canada and you:
- access or use our website at www.katespade.com or any other website, application or online service that we operate which includes a link to this privacy notice;
- make a purchase or sign up in any of our kate spade stores for any of our services; or
- contact us for customer care.
1. What Types of Personal Information Do We Collect?
Information You Actively Submit: if you buy our products, register for an online account with us, use the "wish list" features of our online services, sign up for updates and marketing communications from us, participate in our sweepstakes or surveys, request specific product customizations from us, submit a product review on our website, contact us for customer service, or otherwise interact with us via our online services or in one of our stores, we may collect personal information about you, including the following:
- Contact Data, which may include your name, alias, username, postal address, email address and telephone number;
- Order information and Account Data, which may include your contact data, payment card information, billing address, birth day and month, gender and the details of the products or services you have ordered, purchased or requested from us;
- Gift Registry and Wish List Data,which may include your Contact Data and the products or services you are interested in;
- Giveaways or Sweepstakes Data, which may include your Contact Data and the details of the giveaway or sweepstakes you have voluntarily entered;
- Social Media Data, which may include your social media interactions with us (e.g., if you "like" or "share" or "comment" on something you see on our social media platforms) and any information you actively provide to us for social media marketing purposes. We may also use services provided by third-party platforms (such as social networking and other websites) to choose and target lookalike audiences on such platforms and to create own advertisements, and we may provide a hashed version of your email address or other information to the platform provider for such purposes, and
- Correspondence Data, which you voluntarily provide to us when booking an appointment or sign up for an event at one of our stores, making inquiries to customer care, comments on our social media, product reviews on our site, survey feedback, interests if you choose to participate in our clienteling program, and any other information you actively provide to us.
- Technical Data, which includes your IP address, browser type and version, device identifier, location and time zone setting, network and/or service provider, operating system and platform, page response times, and download errors;
- Online Usage and Interaction Data, which includes the websites you visited before and after visiting our website, products you viewed or searched for on our online services, length of visits to certain online pages, online page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouseovers), methods used to browse away from online pages, your interactions with our marketing emails (such as whether and when you opened an email from us, and whether you clicked a link in the email or forwarded the email), and your interactions with our online ads.
- enable basic functioning of our website;
- web analytics to improve our website (structure, features, accessibility and usability, content, or to fix any technical issues through gathering relevant technical data);
- enable certain basic functions of online browsing and shopping with us (for example, save information you generated or provided on our website such as preferred items, items placed in the cart);
- to provide targeted advertising and monitor the effectiveness of our online ads and marketing (by recording your interactions with our ads on third-party websites, our social media platforms or our marketing emails); and
- learn more about your preferences and Internet browsing habits to provide you with tailored web-visit.
No Children’s Information: Our online services are not intended for use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly register or otherwise collect personal information from any child under the age of 13 without the prior verifiable consent of the child's parent or guardian.
2. How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
we use the following categories of personal information for the following purposes:
- Contact Data to communicate with you, including about products and services you have ordered, or to send you updates about our products, services, or campaigns that may be of interest; or when you voluntarily enter to win a contest, sweepstakes or giveaway.
- Order Information and Account Data to create and manage your account on our website (for example to enable you to access, update and save your preferences to the account); fulfill your orders, including product customization requests.
- Gift Registry and Wish List Data to provide you with the "gift registry" or "wish list" features of our online services, which allow you to identify and save products that you are interested in.
- Social Media Data to interact with you through our social media platforms; and administer social media marketing initiatives or social media advertising campaigns.
- Correspondence Data to respond to any specific queries when you contact customer care, to understand your preferences so that we can provide you with updates about our products, events, or services that may be of interest, provide you with a more tailored shopping experience when you arrive to our stores, to administer booking appointments at our stores, to administer sweepstakes and giveaways, or to improve our product offerings and customer experience based on your responses to a survey or product review.
- Technical Data and Online Usage and Interaction Data to provide, maintain, monitor, secure, debug, personalize and optimize our online services to and for you; provide you with customer service and technical assistance for example when you use our chat function; and to generally develop and improve our products and services. we also use technical data that is automatically collected by cookies and related technologies to tailor our advertising and understand the effectiveness of our ads and social media campaigns.
- Advertising and Marketing Activities: to provide you with relevant advertising and marketing communications, including updates on special offers or promotions, products and services that we believe you may be interested in, or to administer and let you know about our sweepstakes and giveaways. we may tailor the content of those communications based on our understanding of your preferences.
- Compliance with Laws: to perform activities necessary to ensure compliance with applicable national, state, provincial and other applicable laws, and to respond to requests from government authorities.
- Protection of Legal Interests: to protect our legal interests, such as in the event of a complaint or dispute.
- Research and Development: to perform research and undertake surveys to understand preferences about our products and customer experience, to improve product design and product testing;
- Merger or Sale: in the event that we, or some or all of our assets are acquired by or merged with a third-party entity or in connection with a prospective of completed merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control, we may transfer some or all of the personal information that we have collected about you to another organization as part of that transaction. if we intend to transfer your personal information in connection with such a transaction, we may proceed with notice to you, grant you an opportunity to object, or seek your consent, as permitted or required by applicable law.
3. With Whom Do We Share Your Personal Information?
we may share your personal information with the following types of third parties as permitted by applicable law:
- Our service providers and business partners: we rely on affiliated and unaffiliated companies, agents and contractors to assist us with the provision of tapestry services and products to you, including:
- online payment and fraud prevention service providers when you make a purchase;
- delivery / logistics service providers, to deliver products you have purchased;
- customer care services
- infrastructure and IT service providers, including cloud service providers to administer our website and your account if you register with us;
- marketing, advertising and communications agencies to send you information about products and services that may be of interest to you;
- providers of services related to some enhanced online features such as customer review or sizing assistance when you log in to the sizing application linked on our site;
- advertising companies who help us provide tailored advertising and understand the effectiveness of our ads and traffic on our site;
- providers of website testing / analytics services; or
- external auditors and advisers;
- Third parties permitted or required by law: in certain circumstances, we may be permitted or required to disclose or share your personal information to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation. for example, we or our service providers may be required to disclose personal information to US, Canadian or other regulators, government agencies or to judicial or administrative authorities. we may also disclose your personal information to third parties where disclosure is both legally permissible and necessary to protect or defend our rights, for law enforcement purposes, or to enforce our contracts or protect your rights.
- Third parties connected with business transfers: we may transfer your personal information to third parties in connection with a prospective of completed reorganization, restructuring, merger, acquisition or transfer of assets or other change in control, provided that the receiving party agrees to treat your personal information in a manner consistent with this privacy notice.
4. How Do We Protect Your Personal information?
we have implemented technical and organizational security measures intended to safeguard the personal information in our custody and control. Such measures include, for example, limiting access to personal information only to employees and authorized service providers who need to know such information for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice, as well as other administrative, technical and physical safeguards.
for example, when you place an order on www.katespade.com, we use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology, an encryption tool that provides security while transmitting information over the Internet. We also use firewall technology, password controls, and other technological and procedural safeguards in respect of your online interactions with us.
while we endeavor to protect our systems, sites, operations and information against unauthorized access, use, modification and disclosure, due to the inherent nature of the Internet as an open global communications vehicle and other risk factors, we cannot guarantee that any information, during transmission or while stored on our systems, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others.
5. What are Your Choices and Rights?
Unsubscribe. you may unsubscribe from our marketing emails. to do so, please click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any email that you receive or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. please note that if you have already requested products or services when you decide to withdraw consent, there may be a short period of time for us to update your preferences and ensure that we honor your request. Please note that you may continue to receive transactional or account-related communications from us.
Update, Modify or Correct Your Information. we encourage you to contact us to update, modify or correct your personal information if it changes or if you believe that any information that we have collected about you is inaccurate. we may request information from you to honor your request, such as to ensure proper authentication or to verify the business branch of ours to which the information was provided.
6. Changes to This Privacy Notice
We may change, modify, add, or remove portions of this Privacy Notice at any time, in which case we will provide individuals with notice of such updates where required by applicable law and then upload the updated Privacy Notice to our websitewww.katespade.com. You should check this page periodically for changes. Your continued use of our online services or any of the other services described in this Privacy Notice following the posting of changes to this Privacy Notice will be considered your consent to those changes.
7. How Can You Contact Us?
to exercise any of your privacy rights, or if you have any questions or concerns regarding this privacy notice or the data processing practices outlined herein, including the manner in which we or our service providers treat your personal information, please contact us as follows:
- by email: email@example.com
- by phone:
- Customer Care: 866-999-5283
- by post: Tapestry Privacy Office; 10 Hudson Yards New York, NY 10001
A. Categories of cookies
some cookies are deleted when you close down your browser. these are known as session cookies. others remain on your device until they expire or you delete them from your cache. these are known as persistent cookies and these types enable us to remember things about you as a returning visitor. the main categories of cookies we use include:
- Strictly necessary cookies: these cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, and ensuring the security of your online transactions with us and online access to our website. without these cookies, services you have asked for, such as completing a transaction, cannot be provided. these cookies don't gather information about you for the purposes of marketing.
- Performance cookies: these cookies allow us to count the number of visitors and collect information about how visitors use a web site, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. these cookies may collect the ip address of the device used to access the site. all information these cookies collect is used to improve how a website works and the user experience. by using our websites you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device, however you can block these cookies using your browser settings (please see "how to manage your cookies" section below).
- Functionality cookies: these cookies allow us to recognize you when you return to our website and allows the website to remember choices you make (such as your user name). they may also be used to provide services you have requested such as watching a video. the information these cookies collect may include your IP address, but the cookie does not contain your name, address, account details, etc. and they do not track your browsing activity across other websites. by using our websites you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device, however you can block these cookies using your browser settings (please see "how to manage your cookies" section below).
- First and third party cookies: whether a cookie is a first or third party cookie depends on which website the cookie comes from. first party cookies are those set by or on behalf of the website visited. all other cookies are third party cookies.
- Targeting/Marketing cookies: these cookies make marketing and advertising content more relevant to you. we or a third party advertising network that we work with may collect information relating to your browsing history and interests to deliver relevant advertising to you. the advertisement network partner may use marketing cookies, pixels or similar technologies to collect usage, navigational or other statistical data about your activities on our websites and mobile applications and other websites and apps (such as web pages you visit, ads you click on) and use this information to make predictions about your interests and provide you targeted advertising based upon your interests. these parties may also use this information to limit the number of times you see the same advertisement on our websites or mobile applications and to help measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. to learn more about your options and how to opt-out of interest-based advertising, please see "opting-out of interest-based advertising" under "how to manage your cookies?" below.
- Personalization cookies: cookies may also be used on our website to personalize your shopping experience and enable you to use certain function (such as "add to wishlist" or "save") to conduct internal testing on what works best for our customers.
- enable basic functioning of our website or to fix any technical issues through gathering relevant technical data;
- web analytics to improve our website (structure, features, accessibility and usability, content);
- enable certain basic functions of online browsing and shopping with us (for example, save information you generated or provided on our website such as preferred items, items placed in the cart, billing address to save time and effort when you next return to our website or shop with us);
- monitor the effectiveness of our online ads and marketing (by recording your interactions with our ads on third-party websites, our social media platforms or our marketing emails); and
- learn more about your preferences and internet browsing tastes to provide you with tailored advertising (you certainly don't want to hear from us about something you are not interested in).
C. How to manage your cookies?
The browsers of most computers, smartphones and other web-enabled devices are typically set up to accept cookies. If you wish to amend your cookie preferences for this website or any other websites, you can do this through your browser settings. Your browser's ‘help' function will tell you how to do this. If you do not want the benefit of cookies, there is a simple procedure to manually delete your cookies at http://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/stop-cookies-installed.html. please remember that cookies are often used to enable and improve certain functions on our website. If you choose to switch certain cookies off, it is likely to affect the user experience.
Opting-out of Interest-Based Advertising: For more information about interest-based advertising and to understand your options, including how you can opt-out of receiving behavioral ads from participating third-party advertising companies, please visit the links below:
- network advertising initiative: http://www.NetworkAdvertising.org/choices/
- digital advertising alliance of US: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/
- digital advertising alliance of Canada: http://youradchoices.ca/choices
To successfully opt out, you must have cookies enabled in your web browser (see your browser's instructions for information on cookies and how to enable them). Your opt-out only applies to the web browser you use so you must opt-out of each web browser on each computer you use. Once you opt out, if you delete your browser's saved cookies, you will need to opt-out again.
A. Who and what information is subject to the CCPA?
The CCPA protects California residents as "consumers" with respect to their personal information, although a number of exceptions apply. As a result, the Supplemental CCPA Disclosures and relevant CCPA Rights subsections below may not apply when they restrict our ability to comply with a court order or regulator with competent authority, federal, state or local laws, investigations, cooperation with law enforcement, exercise of our legal claims, or collection or use of de-identified information.
B. Supplemental CCPA Disclosures
We have set out below the categories of personal information we have collected about California residents in the preceding 12 months and describe, for each category of personal information collected, the business or commercial purposes for which the information was collected. Each of the categories of personal information listed in the table are collected directly from consumers. Each of the categories of personal information in the table may also be shared with the following categories of third parties: (i) our Service providers and business partners, including those listed at Section 3 above (ii) Government entities as required by applicable law (iii) other recipients at your discretion or with your consent (iv) Third parties in the event of a proposed or actual business transaction involving all or any portion of our business. Additional information about sales of information can be found below the table.
Category of personal information:
We collected such personal information for the following purposes:
Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.
We may use this information for any of the purposes described in Section 2 above.
Categories of personal information described in subdivision (e) of Section 1798.80 of the California Civil Code, including name, signature, address, telephone number, and credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.
We use this information to process payment, fulfil your order, or process a return.
Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law; namely, gender and age.
We use this information to better understand our clientele, for example when joining our clienteling program, booking an in-store appointment or event, or signing up for a gift registry.
Commercial information, including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
We use this information to fulfil your order, manage consumers’ online account with us, personalize and optimize consumers’ shopping experience with us (for example, letting you know when a favorite product is back in stock, recording certain information from past purchases which can be used in future purchases such as preferred address and favorite store locations), provide consumers with customer support.
Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an Internet Web site, application, or advertisement.
We may use this information for any of the purposes described in Section 2 above.
We may use this information to enable consumers to view nearby stores.
Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information.
We use audio, visual or similar information that you may voluntarily provide in connection with customer care inquiries or when you engage with our social media initiatives.
Inferences drawn from any of the information identified in this subdivision to create a profile about a consumer reflecting the consumer’s preferences, characteristics and attitudes.
We use such information to personalize and optimize consumers’ shopping experience with us for example from joining our clienteling program or submitting survey responses you volunteer to share, enable consumers to use our "gift registry" or "wish list" features online, tailor our marketing efforts, and develop and improve our products and services.
Over the past 12 months, we also used the categories of personal information listed above as necessary to fulfil the General Processing Purposes described in Section 2 of this Notice above.
During the past 12 months, we shared certain categories of personal information about California residents with third parties and business partners in a manner that may constitute a "sale" under the CCPA, as described below:
- Online Promotions and Advertising: We work with one or more third parties to (i) administer and analyze effectiveness of advertising or promotional campaigns. These third parties may place cookies on individuals’ computers to receive information about traffic to our site, browsing and purchasing activity on our online services, and (ii) From time to time third parties may help us to provide a more tailored user experience. These third parties may collect information about individuals’ internet or other similar network activity and browsing patterns, IP address, page interaction (such as scrolling, clicks and mouseovers), and information obtained via cookies with these third parties (such as the site visited before or after), and may retain rights to use some of this information for their own purposes.
C. CCPA Rights
California residents have the following rights:
- Right to Opt-out of Sale: California residents have the right to opt-out of our "sales" of their personal information. To exercise this right, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with "California Request to Opt-Out" in the subject line, or use the contact details in Section 7 of this Privacy Notice above.
- In addition, to opt out from the sale of your personal information collected by targeting cookies,
update your cookie preferences by clicking the "Manage Cookies" link below, and toggle the button from "active" to "inactive". Please note that
when you opt out of targeting cookies, you may see less relevant ads on other sites.
- Right to Know: California residents have the right to request that we disclose what personal information we collect, use, disclose and sell about them specifically. To submit a request to exercise this right to know, please email us at email@example.com with "California Request to Know", or use the contact details in Section 7 of this Privacy Notice above. Please specify in your request the details you would like to know, including any specific pieces of personal information you would like to access.
- Right to Delete: California residents have the right to request the deletion of personal information that we collect or maintain about them. To submit a request to delete personal information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with "California Request to Delete" in the subject line, or use the contact details in Section 7 of this Privacy Notice above. Please specify in your request the personal information about you that you would like to have deleted, which can be all of your personal information as required by the CCPA.
- Right Not to be Discriminated Against: You may not be discriminated against because you exercise any of your rights under the CCPA in violation of Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.125.
- Financial Incentives: From time to time we offer consumers who provide their email address, phone number and/or zip code to us for the purposes of receiving our marketing communications, free shipping, or sometimes a discount on an order. Consumers may opt in by entering their information when prompted upon first visiting our website. Consumers may opt out of marketing communications at any time by following the instructions in such communications. Consumers may also exercise their rights at any time by emailing email@example.com. The financial incentive is permitted under the CCPA because it is not discriminatory in nature—it does not deny consumers their rights under the CCPA or discriminate against consumers who may have exercised their rights under the CCPA.
You can designate an authorized agent to make a request under the CCPA on your behalf if:
- The authorized agent is a natural person or a business entity registered with the Secretary of State of California; and
- You sign a written declaration that you authorize the authorized agent to act on your behalf.
- Mail a certified copy of your written declaration authorizing the authorized agent to act on your behalf to Coach Privacy Office; 10 Hudson Yards New York, NY 10001; and
- Provide any information we request in our response to your email to verify your identity. The information that we ask you to provide to verify your identity will depend on your prior interactions with us and the sensitivity of the personal information at issue.
D. Shine the Light Law
California residents are entitled once per year to request and obtain certain information regarding our disclosure, if any, of your personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately prior calendar year. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, email address, and postal address in your message. In response to your request, we will provide you with a notice describing the cost-free means to opt-out of our sharing your personally identifiable information with third parties with whom we do not share the same brand name, if the third party will use it for their direct marketing purposes.