get ready to paint the town red because tonight is fashion’s night out, which means one thing… new york fashion week officially begins! (swing by our participating stores to get your champs & shopping on… or stay in and celebrate from your sofa). in honor of the spring ’13 collections, our friends at fathom share their top spots around the city with where the style-set like to eat, play and beautify during one of the most glamorous weeks of the year. and guess what? this is only their fashion week picks—take a peek at all their favorite places in our new york city guide. enjoy!
1. allswell we can’t help but notice there’s some serious street style happening in brooklyn—people are strutting the pavement like its their job. once you’ve gotten your street-peeping fix, feast your eyes on the daily changing menu (and late-night eats) at this simple little boite, made even more charming by the mish-mash of retro wallpapers decorating the joint. (124 bedford avenue, brooklyn)
2. caffe storico rubbing elbows with a celeb is good for a tweet, but think about what dining in a museum will do for your instagram feed. this new italian brunching/lunching post (a dozen blocks from the tents) resides inside the new york historical society, and the restaurant’s walls are lined with bright white shelves displaying a collection of 19th-century china. (170 central park west, upper west side)
3. fivestory now this sounds like the beginning of something grand: a design-focused concept shop in a glamorous townhouse located on — wait for it — east 69th street. you could probably get away with lounging around, pretending you’re killing time between shows when you’re really just savoring the scent of a robert mapplethorpe orchid candle. (18 east 69th street, upper east side)
4. mission chinese food on any given moment of any given night, this lower east side restaurant looks like a barrier-to-entry for some first-rate runway show. everybody’s clamoring for sizzling sichuan plates that are so addictive and deliriously tasty they practically make you see stars. (154 orchard street, lower east side)
5. top hat september brings up all sorts of feelings: back-to-school feelings, new-years-resolution feelings, seasonal giddiness. all the material pleasures that go along with those emotions can be found at this very small shop: colored masking tape, pavement chalk, cross-stitched handkerchiefs, notebooks, and specialty leather goods. (245 broome street, soho)
Filed under: deliberate polish