all summer long we’ve tagged along with staffers on their half-day fridays (and luxuriously longer weekends). we round off the series with an especially special recap—a jaunt down to oahu and kauai for swimming, sunsets on the beach and a surprise engagement.
who: sydney applegate
job: production designer
where: ohau and kauai, hawaii
why: “my family lives in oahu and kauai is just my favorite place in the world. my boyfriend—now fiancé!—had never been to the islands so it was the perfect excuse to visit.”
1. pretty peaks: “hiking up to the top of diamond head on oahu. this view of waikiki made the trek totally worth while.”
2. local sugar fix: “passion fruit sorbet from lappert’s, on the north shore of kauai. yummiest ice cream on the island.”
3. welcome to paradise: “common ground kauai has the freshest, locally grown organic food, not to mention the best shrubbery signage.”
4. putting a ring on it: “my wonderful man proposed on hanalei bay at sunset under a double rainbow. how could I say no?!”
5. a glamorous dip: “chillaxin’ in a salt water pool and in my kate spade new york florence broadhurst malia mills inner tube and swimsuit.
6. somewhere over the double rainbow: “two minutes after taking this photo, i had a ring on my finger.”
7. quick feet: “our house was surrounded by coco palms. delicious and dangerous.”
8. making new friends: “just one of the geckos that greeted us on the island of lanai. i named this little guy david bowie.”
Filed under: deliberate polish